Saturday, July 19

Keeping busy

This has been a month of somethings and nothings, with a lot more nothings then somethings.  

Some of the somethings:
I had the opportunity to hike to Timpanogos Cave with the Bear Den at the beginning of the month.  They are a good bunch of boys or we wouldn't have done this: very steep mountain trail + active 9 year-old boys = first aid kit (usually).  There were a couple of times I was holding someone by the backpack when I though they were a little too close to the edge, but that was probably due more to my fear of heights than their lack of fear.  
Do any of you remember this from "back in the day"?
These are the "Salt & Pepper Shakers".  They were the only thing in the cave you could touch.  Now you can't.  So, don't tell a group of 9 year-old boys that when they get inside the cave they will get to touch them, they will be very disappointed.  The tour guides don't even tell you about them now unless you ask about them so you would probably walk right by them and not know it- they aren't even lit up like other formations.

The boys were really tired after the hike (they aren't dramatic at all!) but they still managed to pass off their outdoor cooking with their hot dogs and marshmallows.  That evening Mike was so kind as to remove my stitches so I no longer had the foot of Frankenstein.  

Prior to all the hiking, during my guilt-free reading time while my foot had to be up, I had read (for the first time) Les Miserables.  I really enjoyed the book and since Tuacahn is one of the very few places in the US allowed to preform it I had to take advantage of that.  Even though it was a sultry 108* and now and then a breeze would blow that felt like a blow-dryer was pointed at you, I loved it.  It's amazing how much they can do with that stage!

I took the kids up to visit my sister and neice in Ogden and we went to the Dinosaur museum.  
Here's a "Jurassic Park" moment.

Eliza's favorite part.
Her least favorite (they were a little noisy)
Some kids dig to find dinosaur bones
Some kids dig to find their own hands
The World's Most Dangerous Creatures!

To celebrate Steel Days we took our kids to the Firemen's breakfast at 6:45 am, and then stayed up to watch the fireworks that didn't start until 10:40, which made for a very long (but fun) day!

Other than these highlights the kids have assured me that they have been thoroughly bored.  I'll have to come up with a couple more "somethings" before school starts in a month.

6 comments:

  1. I am certain that even if you do something every single day, the kids are still going to complain of boredom! Can you believe?? not so long until school starts. Looks like the dinosaur museum is fun. Someday we will visit one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, don't give them more "somethings". That way when they finally start school again they will thank their lucky stars.

    But actually, lets do go to the zoo together. Little Miss would love it. Maybe its her year to get lost...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great time. I can't believe you took the scouts to Timp. That was very brave of you - very brave. I asked about the "shakers" too and was told that they were stolen and returned and that is why you can't touch them. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only do the leaders look like the big sisters of these boys, it also looks like they are in much better shape! Way to go scout leaders!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun summer! I love the pictures, they made me laugh!

    I can't believe how big Eliza is getting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and my favorite part would have been the rabbits too :)

    ReplyDelete