We have been talking about going fishing for a while now, and finally decided if we didn't just go it would never happen. So on Friday, July 25th we loaded up the car at 6:30 am and headed up to Strawberry reservoir.
Eliza needed some protection from the sun and was happy with this solution.
The boys helped Mike get the poles ready while Eliza fished for dirt with her little Barbie fishing pole.
Once the poles were set it was time to start crawdad-ing.
Most were caught on a chicken leg with a net, but some were caught by hand.
Some got caught on a hat.
Now that's just showing off!
The start of a good bucket of crawdads!
Tyler tried his hand at fishing.
While up on top of those rocks we saw a really big small-mouth bass swimming around. And although we watched it following the lure, we couldn't get it to bite. Then back by the crawdading spot we saw a big cutthroat trout swimming around in the shallows. Mike tossed a lure in front of it and after watching the fish swim behind for a second it bit!
Eliza calmly watching the fish come to shore.
Last year when we did this the boys got in the water. This year Mike asked Clay if he wanted to jump in off the rocks and swim over to where it was shallow enough to touch (probably 5 feet), and Clay said yes. So, he jumped in. And although he was moving around a lot, and we know he can swim farther than that, he wasn't going anywhere. Mike was ready to help as needed with the net pole...
Time for swimming lessons.
All the kids took a turn getting pinched once or twice. Eliza finally figured out where to hold them.
After having lots of fun, not drowning, and catching all the crawdads we needed for dinner, we decided to head for home and I promised Eliza some marshmallows when we got back to the car so she would help pack up. We loaded up the car and started driving. After a few minutes I heard her say "marshmallows". We looked back to find her already asleep.
What do you dream of?



Yikes!!! I wouldn't want those creepy crawdads crawling on me! Eliza was very brave. I think her marshmallow dream was funny. I don't think I have ever dreamed about food. Usually someone is chasing me (so I guess I don't have time to eat in my dreams.) I'm glad you got to enjoy a little outing, and that Clay was saved from drowning. The scenery was beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou are such cool parents. What is with eating crawdads? I thought they were like lake junk. I guess that shows what I know. Are they good?
ReplyDeleteCrawdads are considered freshwater lobster and that's what they taste like. Macey's had them for about $4 per pound (from Singapore no less!). They are kind of a pain to clean, but Clay was an awesome helper... me not so much.
ReplyDeleteNice post! Looks like they had fun. Next time you need to get one of them to take a picture with you in it!
ReplyDeleteI often dream that I'm cleaning my room.
Cleaning fish already disgusts me but now I am imagining cleaning crawdads and I am about to lose it. I am rather surprised that Eliza held a crawdad. I won't be as impressed with the boys until I see one hanging from their nipple(above the shirt of course) like my brother in law does. :) hahaha
ReplyDeleteI didn't know crawdads were so big. Maybe I just didn't know what a crawdad was ;)! Looks like a lot of fun. Now there's another great place to go for a day trip.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a really fun day. We have not gone fishing at all this summer--oh, I forgot--the boys went last weekend in Wyoming--no family fishing trips though. We need to repent!
ReplyDelete