Sunday, August 17

Oak City

We were invited by friends Phil & Jenna to spend the weekend with them and & their twin boys in Oak City during Oak City Days August 14th through the 16th.  So Mike, Eliza & I packed up and headed to this amazing little city where we were made to feel right at home.  The city had a full schedule of fun and events like-


A parade held Friday evening.  After attending an evening parade I think all parades should be in the evening.  Sometime during the day you put out some chairs, and then you show up later when the day has cooled off and sit back to enjoy.  Or stand and wave.


Here's the sit back and enjoy.  I loved that it wasn't elbow to elbow people!


This float gets best sign!  Way to go Jenna (did you save it for next year?)!


But this might be the best float.  That cooler is motorized and was not slow!  
I wonder what he had in it?


Picked up some candy.  Again, no crowds.  
I think some of that might still be there.


The post parade crowd.  What should we do next?


Play at the park of course!  Did you know some cities still have the better-than-great old metal slides!  Remember when going down a slide meant more speed and less static?


And some time on the swings.


We helped (but mostly just hung out) in Lisa's cookie booth.  
I was lucky I got one early... they sold out fast and they are delicious!


We jumped on the trampoline.  Or watched.


We got to hang out and watch the Olympics.  We also watched video of the deer the men saw each morning while they were out scouting for an upcoming hunt.


Eliza even caught a little fish all by herself at the trout catch.  If you look closely you can see that she was in the act of letting it go.  I was relieved we didn't have to carry that little fish home in a bag.


Eliza thought it was fun to camp out on the floor.

We also enjoyed the ice cream social, horseshoe tournament, and barbecue lunch.  And we watched the BBC's newest version of Jane Eyer which I would recommend to anyone who liked the book (or hasn't read it) and has 4 hours to enjoy it.  It was a great weekend full of fun!  I know where I want to be one weekend next August!

* * * * * * * * 

Don't worry... we didn't leave the boys home alone.  They were having their own weekend of fun prospecting with Grandpa.


They spent entire days outside digging in the dirt, ate meals completely lacking in any vital nutrients, and got to use sharp objects.

Who wouldn't want to spend a weekend with Grandpa?  Thanks Dad!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. I could really use some fun. Sorry I missed you at the Equestrian Park. Let's get together before everyone gets sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you are back!! Loved the picture of Eliza on the swings with Mike pushing her. I bet she had a great time with just you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, lacking meals and sharp objects... sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete