Monday, June 30

Blog school

Not long ago my mom called up and asked if I (along with my s-i-l) would be willing to teach an enrichment class on blogging.  Now if you just paused and laughed at that last sentence, you did exactly what I did that day on the phone.  I said I knew enough to set up my own but I was sure there were people in her ward that knew a lot more than I did.  She said all it would be is a basic set up class, so I agreed to give it a shot.  I actually learned quite a bit trying to find out more so I wouldn't be completely incompetent.  I learned about html and widgets and now I just need to work on actually posting something.


We all know how time can fly while "surfing the net" (and I was tired of feeling guilty when I realized how long I had been on), so one thing I was trying for was to spend less time randomly searching the blogs I like to read to see who's updated.  I decided to give Google Reader a try, and although I liked having all the new posts come up so I could scroll through them I missed seeing the actual blog and the individuality of the blogger.  Then I stumbled across Google Next.  I sign in and one by one it takes me to just the updated blogs along with their comments.  When I get to the end it even tells me- "Congratulations, you've reached the End of the Internet".  If you click on that it even tells you- "You must now turn off your computer and go do something productive.  Go read a book, for pete's sake."  I must say, when your computer tells you to turn it off you're more likely to do it.

Now I'm wondering, what are your favorite blogging tools?  

Please teach me something!

10 comments:

  1. I AM an idiot. That is so smart, I will have to have you show me how. I, too, waste way too much time seeing who has updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alisa...are you going to give "Part 2" on the enrichment blogging?? This sounds very good! You guys did a great job on your class!! I actually added a slide show!! Wahoo...look at me go! I must be your prized pupil!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am impressed. I would have come to your blogging class. I am constantly referring to the blogging for dummies blog:) Does soccer really start next month? Is that earlier than last year? Tennis comes with the wii. it comes with wii sports...they are bowling in the pictures..our favorite game to play together. it's fun but we are so used to not having video games that we forget we have it:) we have honestly only played it a handful of times in the 6 months we have had it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did it go? I'm really slow at commenting the last day or two. But I'm sure you did great. I had no ideas there was something that would tell you to get off and be productive. I need that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you teach a class on how to hold plywood between your toes too? haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the blogging class, you were amazing! Just like any other class - there are "prize pupils" and slow learners. Thanks for your patience as I try to get better at this blogging thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I learned something new today. Thanks for putting in the time and then sharing. By the way, I don't wear flip-flops anymore......stubbed my toe one to many times :-) Hope your foot is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy iGoogle for my homepage and google reader for my blogs, but can you please tell me how to do Google Next? That sounds awesome, and I love Google because it has a sense of humor. Sometimes I need someone to tell me to get off the computer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are perfectly qualified to teach the blogging class! I still have some questions for you about it, so don't let me forget to ask you next time you are down...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Google reader is as far as I've gotten. I'm not sure how to use google next....can't find it?

    P.S. Didn't you and Susan go to Ireland, or am I up in the night?

    ReplyDelete