If you do a google search of "flip-flop dangers" you will get over 100,000 results. You have probably seen several news stories recently about why we shouldn't wear them. There are even the stories about how they could kill you if they get stuck under the gas or break pedals while driving.
Mine didn't kill me (obviously!) but because of them, I required stitches.
While in the garage yesterday, a thin piece of plywood fell on my foot and cut my foot open on the top between two toes. It went quite deep, so off to the doctor I went for stitches. I have only required stitches one other time in my life- I was jumping on a trampoline and a spring broke and hit me in the leg (but that could be another post- "The danger of trampolines"!). They gave me a new tetanus shot (which I'm sure I'll get my money's worth being in scouts and all), stitched me up, and slapped on a bandage. So now I am enjoying some guilt-free reading time.
Mike has been extremely helpful taking care of things so I don't have to get up. It's amazing how much trouble an injury so small can cause. And I would post a picture, but let's be honest- no one wants to see that! Stitches are ugly enough without a foot attached to them. If only I had put these on instead...

... then my foot would still be intact.
So let this be a lesson to you. While flip-flops may prevent your feet from burning on a hot summer's day...
watch out for falling objects.



Oh I am so sorry. Would you like me to bring you some dinner?
ReplyDeleteHoly smokes Lise, that is awful! And I must have hurt like nobody's business. (Did you say a bad word when it happened?)
ReplyDeleteI hope your injury heals quickly. And be sure to milk your down time. You deserve it!
I, for one, would have liked to see a picture of the foot. I'm sorry you hurt yourself! They need to invent steel-toed flip flops.
ReplyDeleteOuch!!! It also hurts really bad when someone steps on the back of your flip-flop just as you are taking a step--especially if you're wearing the el cheapos that have the plastic-y vinyl-ish straps. No stitches required for that one though. I hope you recover soon!
ReplyDeleteP.S. What are you reading?? Anything good?
Please don't tell me flip-flops are dangerous! Sorry for your injury! Deserves some love and attention... and a brownie!
ReplyDeleteNatilie- I appreciate your dinner offer! Although I'm staying down to try to prevent swelling, I'm able to get up enough to make pb&j sandwiches. ;D I probably won't even have to that though, Mike has taken over everything!
ReplyDeleteAlice- I am currently reading "Rachel & Leah" from Orson Scott Card's "Women of Genesis" series. It is the last of 3 and I have them all if you're interested.
Hope you're feeling better! I'm with Susan though milk it baby!
ReplyDeleteI was so sorry you hurt your foot. I hope it will heal fast for you so we can go shopping for some new shoes?
ReplyDeleteHey, your blog is very cute too and you are much better at posting that alot of people I know! If you don't mind I am adding you to my list of blogs so we can read up on you once in a while. So, is there a soccer party this week? I haven't heard yet. It's been fun doing soccer and baseball with you, always fun to make new friends;)and get to know new people. Don't be a stranger!
ReplyDelete